There are a lot of other issues that person with Diabetes face day-to-day like Employment, religious practices, marriage, social meeting. Also women need to know about change can be needed for treatment during menstrual cycle. Also Diabetes treatment is always a team work.
Diabetes and Employment
There is little that Diabetes stops you from doing. It is not your fault that you have Diabetes and there is no reason to hide it. Make sure that people around you know that you have Diabetes. Tell them about “Hypo” and what they should do in case you have a severe hypo.
Remember that people are frightened by what they do not know or understand. If they understand, then it is much less frightening for them.
Diabetes and Religion
There can be serious problem at the time of fasting for various religious occasions. There is no rule of thumb, you need to apply simple practical knowledge and if in doubt seek expert opinion. It is good idea to prick your finger to know blood sugar a few times a day during such a fast.
If you are on Insulin, reduction of the dose is necessary depending on the duration of the fast.
Again it is better to stop tablet if you are on them because you may experience a “Hypo” which can be prolonged in a similar situation.
Some women notice no change in their Diabetes around their cycle, the other see a change in control. Know your own body. Does your sugar go up the week before you are “due”?
- If yes, increase your insulin for those days. Some women notice sugar decreases when they “start”.
- If you do so, reduce your dose of insulin to avoid hypo. There is no mathematical rule for this; you are the best judge to do changes in such situations.
Marriage and Diabetes
Diabetes is no taboo for marriage. Here are a few tips that will take you through a smooth life.
- Try to be understanding and encouraging. Remember that the diabetic doesn’t like having the condition or putting up with its management either.
- Learn all you can about it. It helps a great deal, and talk to your spouse or intended spouse about your concerns. There are a lot of myths out there, and knowledge is power.
- One must remember that sometimes moods and attitude are not totally under the control of the diabetic. It is a condition which will require a team effort to handle. Sometimes the non-diabetic in the relationship must “take charge” of the diabetic for both of their well beings. Life is an interesting trip and diabetes is just a little more excitement thrown in!
- Learn about it and help with preparing foods, new ideas about eating & exercise. Knowledge will set you free.
You may practice any form of contraception. If you choose an oral pill, you may find this alters your control, so your Diabetes treatment may need adjustment. It is better to avoid combined pill if you have Diabetes, mini-pill may be a better option.
Diabetes “A teamwork”
It really takes different healthcare professionals to form a team to look after Diabetes. A most important person of the team us the person with Diabetes and the family. Next comes the family physician.
The other members are nurse, specialist diabetes doctor, podiatrist (people who look after feet), and dietician.
Also, opinion is required from other specialists such as eye specialists, kidney specialists, heart specialists, surgeons, etc. It is important one person coordinates the whole team effort and that is usually the specialist Diabetes doctor.